Northborough, Massachusetts

 

BRIEF HISTORY


  Northborough was settled as the "North borough" of Marlborough in the early 1650s. In 1717, it was set off from Marlborough, becoming the north part of Westborough. In January, 1776, Northborough was incorporated as a town of its own.

  In 1746, the first "Meeting House" was established under the name of The Church of Christ, and it became the center of all town activities, both religious and legal. Northborough has had three Town Ministers, the first being Rev. John Martyn, who served from 1746-1767. he was succeeded by the patriot, Peter Whitney, a Harvard graduate, who served the town until 1816. Rev. Whitney was followed by the Rev. Joseph Allen who served until 1873. Both Whitney and Allen were well-known historians and authors of their day.

  Northborough has been home to many famous statesmen, authors, soldiers and financiers. included are Amos Rice, who served with George Washington, and Cyrus Gale, who donated the building that now houses the Northborough Free Library.

  Northborough, located along the thriving Boston Post Road, and bisected by the Assabet River, has been home to various industries. Grist and saw mills gave way to iron and brick works.

  These, in turn, were succeeded by cotton and woolen mills, and other commodities, leading up to the present day electronics industry.

  Northborough has maintained its essential residential character while it continues to grow and prosper.

 

From the 1997
Town of Northborough
Directory of Services

provided to the town by:



 

Page provided by Northborough.com
e:mail web@northborough.com
1997-2009 northborough.com